March 13, 2007

SUSHI STORY

I'd never tried it. Nothing about uncooked fish appealed to me. I'm a meat 'n potatoes kinda guy and pretty cowardly when it comes to unfamiliar foods.

Until last night. Some new friends lured me into a Japanese restaurant with a chorus of "C'mon Tank, you can just order chicken".
Not wanting to seem a poor sport, I let go my WASPy inhibitions and before I could say "teriyaki please", I was staring down a bento box of colourful concoctions.

And it actually wasn't all that bad. I almost sorta liked it. I ate everything on the plate and helped myself to seconds and thirds.

But the tasty camaraderie was probably the seasoning this boy needed. I've got to eat more of it.

4 comments:

evilganome said...

I grew up in a family that ate, pig knuckles, calves brains and blood sausage. The idea of sushi didn't even phase me. It's good stuff! Almost up there with headcheese!

Trey said...

Well good company always makes up for bad (or even so-so) food.

I've never been on for sushi, even when I lived in Japan. I just like my food cooked!

Oh, and I get my blog fix during meals hunched over the PC. Kind of sad I guess.

robkroese said...

I've never understood the appeal of it either. I've tried it, and I still don't.

BigAssBelle said...

like tony above, i have long been familiar with the (grotesque, really) foods like scrapple, head cheese, blood sausage, eggs & brains and the like. i carry with me an image of my grandmother at hog butchering time sitting perched on a stool scraping out the interior of a nasty old hog's head and slinging the results into a bowl.

that being said, you would have to force feed me sushi. raw fish. no can do. not since i found a revolting coiled worm in a nice plump slab of haddock in a restaurant. but not ever, it wasn't just the worm. raw. fish. good god.