April 12, 2008

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

Over the years I've seen a number of movie musicals, shows and concerts that've transformed me into a different person.

During their opening minutes I've felt tingles up and down my spine, my face flushes and my eyes well up. I became emotionally overcome, and the subject didn't have to be sad or sentimental. I believed I was witnessing something bigger than the collective talents of the artists and I'd never be quite the same again.

Chris Isaak in concert and movies Jesus Christ Superstar, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Grease did it. So did Broadway's Urinetown, Cabaret, Chicago and Avenue Q. I'm not musically inclined myself, but each of these shows gave me a rush like I don't get from anything else.

Maybe it's something about the assemblage of a show - and especially a musical show - that makes me joyous. Audience members as well as perfomers and crew each have a common goal of being a part of a piece of entertainment. They're all on various sides of a single unit for its duration. I'm a huge nut for stuff that unifies otherwise-unconnected people, even if it's just for a little while.



It happened again this afternoon when I saw the Rolling Stones' Shine A Light, directed by Martin Scorsese.

It's like I'm not the person I was yesterday: Now I've seen the Stones up real close in a spectacle unlike a live show or other concert footage I'd already seen.

I thought I was already pretty familiar with their on-stage antics. But in Scorsese's film, the tunes I heard seemed almost secondary to the phenomenon that is the band and their showmanship. It was like I'd never seen them before.

From the opening chords of Jumpin' Jack Flash to the Brown Sugar / Satisfaction encore I sat spellbound, unable to be still in my seat as I wiped my eyes and immersed myself in the firestorm.

I'd have gladly sat and watched it a second time. I'm burstin' here.

4 comments:

tornwordo said...

It's at the IMAX? That sounds like a great show and a great format to watch it in.

Mark in DE said...

You reaction to these group efforts at art and entertainment are EXACTLY what the performers are hoping for: an experience that changes the lives of those who witness it.

Thanks for sharing this.

Mark :-)

Darth Gateau said...

Every time I walk out of a theatre I wistfully ponder what it would have been like if I could sing and be on stage. Aah... the smell of the crowd...

Gedi said...

You sold me on this show. And you've also sold me on gettin' my ass back into the theatre for some enjoyment.
Was just thinking today how life has become bland and all.
Like nothin's worth nothin' anymore.