August 23, 2009

SAMMY SAVES THE DAY

...when she emails me this note after reading my bits about the 'rents and my current marriage issue:

As a parent, I can honestly say that we say and do the stupidest things sometimes... As much as you probably don't want to hear it right now, it comes from love, fear, shock, etc.

I can remember my wedding day, I was almost 7 months pregnant and as my dad walked me to Klaus he whispered in my ear... Sammy, you don't have to do this. You can come home with me and mom.

I'll never forget it. Dad passed away last month and to be honest, it's one of the fondest memories I have of him... and I have alot of wonderful memories.

My oldest son was married last month (what a month!) and I'm still struggling with accepting the relationship. She's a wonderful girl, perfect for him. Wtf, I don't understand it myself.

So there's my little contribution. Live your live baby!

Sam


My brain had been polluted with anger, hurt and frustration. Sam's message completely shifted my mindset. She helped me realize Mom and Dad are just as able as anyone else to say really dumb things. Which is actually a relief.


*****

Sammy had been a pal of Teresa, a girl I dated when we were teenagers. Thirty years later we reconnected on Facebook and had lunch last summer. Now she steps in and saves the relationship with my parents.

You just never know when a seemingly random person is gonna show up and make a difference.

3 comments:

tornwordo said...

Aw that's nice. I try to remember that everyone is doing the best they can at any given moment.

Mark in DE said...

Its true. But it would be a lot easier to accept if your dad would just apologize!

LSL said...

What a difficult couple of weeks you've had. I'm sorry about your parents reaction. It reminded me of when my mom stopped speaking to me when I moved in with my boyfriend at age 25 (13 years ago.) It really hurt. When people botch things up like that I try to remind myself that they do really love me, even if it sometimes comes out all wrong.

Congratulation on your engagement!