July 27, 2008

HOW TO KNOW WHEN IT MIGHT BE TIME TO CHANGE GYMS

My gym hangs decorative banners from the ceiling
advertising the services of its personal trainers. Each banner features a fresh-faced kid and the slogan: After 90 days with so-and-so... followed by the promise of achieving some random fitness goal. After 90 days with Leroy, you'll lose those love handles. After 90 days with Mikey, you'll like what you see in the mirror again.

A certain banner caught my eye this afternoon: After 90 days with Tyron, you'll be able to survive 'circuit parties' (italics theirs).

This is what I have to deal with. Oxymoronic, it is: the sensible gay gym for grown-ups. Pity.

8 comments:

michael sean morris said...

I used to train in the fitness room of my local community centre. It wasn't fancy and I was pretty much the only gay guy who'd ever been there.

Mark in DE said...

Maybe the gym thought the 'circuit party' banner was a good way to reach out to their gay clientele. Personally I'm not offended by it.

I train in a small gym where there is only 1 trainer so I never see other clients unless they're leaving when I arrive or vice versa.

Mark :-)

evilganome said...

I go to the Gold's here in Boston. Not so gay, but at least the straight guys don't give me stink face because of my age.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry but i don't get it. Are you feeling old or out of shape?

dantallion said...

LOL - Yep, time for a change...

tankmontreal said...

ewe: No more than usual, and no, I'm as fit as a fiddle.
The poster tells me that gym management is trying too hard to demonstrate their supposed coolness by speaking to kids who indulge in certain substances and dance 'til noon.
This's the same management that forbids male members from wearing tank tops (women can tho) out of concern that some members might be intimidated by the exposed arms and shoulders of bulging musclemen.
No, I feel fine about myself. I'm just not feeling like this is my place anymore.

Jeff said...

You, hoo, Tanky- are you there? It's been a month, time to wake up!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reply. i myself am fat and unattractive, so all's i can do is leave passive-agressive messages on other bloegger's posts in an attempt to feel better about myself. it's the little power i have. :-(