September 26, 2007

TODAY I LEARNED HOW TO GET RID OF A TELEPHONE SOLICITOR


Just got a call from my internet provider. The rep said his name was Adam and asked how I was doing. "Great!!" I was glowing, "It's my birthday!!!"

He couldn't have anticipated my unbridled burst o' fervor. "And what can I do for you?" I continued, like it mattered.

I was feelin' pretty chipper, perky as a game show host. My usual Grumpy Gus-ness had gone AWOL. Sheer madness, I tell you.

"Oh this's just a promotional call," he went on, "I wanted to introduce you to a new service we're offering. But I'm sure this isn't a good time. I should let you go. I don't want to ruin your evening".

And without further ado, he hung up. End of conversation. I was stunned.

How cool izzat? Note to self.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, you've been missed

tankmontreal said...

richard: thanks

Matt said...

Was it really your birthday? (If so - happy belated)

Mike said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You're 25!!!!!!

Naijadude said...

lol...wow thats a good way to send them away!... Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

There are acouple of things about this entry I really like... the first of which is how brief (yet so succinctly entertaining) it is. See? This is proof that you CAN provide an entry a day to your blog if you really were to just clear you mind and tell an anecdote such as this. So short and yet enjoyable and funny, and surely not demanding of the greatest effort. Anyway, just sayin'... as for the tale itself, it is strange, indeed. I've ne'er heard of such an accomodating telemarketer. It sounded like he wanted to get off the phone with you... but why? And aren't those conversations recoded? Isn't he going to get in trouble with his boss for not pushing you into the hard-sell? His boss may say "It was the guy's birthday - he was happy, and happy means vulnerable! He would'a eaten outta the palm've yer'rand." You probably got him fired. Kidding aside, I wonder what was going on here... and next time someone calls, you should say the same thing and see how they react. My guess is that this was a bit of a fluke... but who knows? You might be onto something... the perfect, least offensive way to get out of a soliciting phone call.

michael sean morris said...

I would keep your method in mind, but I only have a cell phone, so no phone solicitors. But I may pass that along to others who do. My mother's method is a little more blunt - she just hangs up.

BigAssBelle said...

damn, i've been sans sleep for a long time if i missed this. i really, really want to see you perky and chipper, bursting forth with great fervor. maybe wearing that bo peep outfit, please, sir.